Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office Law Enforcement Explorer Program
The Sheriff is dedicated to the education of young adults in regard to law enforcement awareness and community service. This education includes an exposure to state and local laws, the operations of each component within the LPSO, officer safety tactics, crime prevention measures, criminal apprehension, positive community interactions, and more. Employees of the LPSO volunteer and interact with Explorers as mentors and educate them through shadowing programs as well as training curriculums.
The purpose of Law Enforcement Exploring is to provide young adults who may be interested in a career in law enforcement with a comprehensive program of training, competitions, service, and practical exercises.
L.P.S.O. Exploring Requirements:
- 15 years old (or 14 and completed the 8th grade) to age 18, or completion of high school (whichever is later)
- No criminal record (or pending criminal charges)
- Currently enrolled in school (non-truant)
- No extensive history of school discipline
- Maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA)
- Letter of Recommendation from a non-relative; (teacher / counselor / clergy / LPSO employee)
- Obtain parent’s or guardian’s consent
- Be a US citizen or legal permanent resident residing in the US
- Have an interest in Law Enforcement