The Mission of the Academy is to prepare each cadet, at the basic entry level, to assume the duties as Corrections Officers and provide the academic knowledge, skill sets, and physical abilities required to pass the Louisiana POST Council examination.
Academy Core Values
The Core Values of the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office Corrections Academy are three simple words with many meanings: Integrity, Commitment and Excellence. Core values are what support the vision, shape the culture and reflect what the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office, the Training Unit and Law Enforcement as a whole values. They are the essence of our identity – our principles, beliefs or philosophy of our values.
Goals and Philosophy
The Academy philosophy emphasizes the pursuit of knowledge and the achievement of physical skills and conditioning necessary to perform tasks related to corrections. Professionalism, character, discipline, intellectual and physical skills are the results the Academy staff strives to instill in its cadets. Achieving these results allows us to accomplish our primary goal – providing Academy cadets with the necessary basic skills that will help them become professional corrections officers.
Objectives of the Academy
The basic objectives of the Academy are to teach cadets the following:
- Self-discipline that assures respect for authority.
- Law enforcement skills necessary to perform essential functions of the job.
- A fitness program that enables the cadet to successfully complete standards established by the Academy.
- Physical fitness techniques teaching the cadets how to maintain physical fitness, endurance, and weight distribution.
- Instructing the cadet to properly wear and maintain uniforms and practice personal hygiene.
- Esprit de Corps to develop a common spirit inspiring enthusiasm, willingness to work with, and for others, and to reach a common goal.
In order to register to attend the Academy, you must complete the Registration Form and fax it to 337-236-5647. The Doctor’s form can be submitted any time prior to attending the academy or the first day of the Academy.
For additional information you may contact: