The Legal Affairs Section provides analysis, advice and counsel to the Sheriff and all Sheriff’s Office personnel on a wide range of legal issues arising from all operations conducted by the various divisions of the Sheriff’s Office. Day-to-day duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- advises the Sheriff and members of the Command Staff regarding the legal implications of all major decisions, strategies and transactions;
- prepares or reviews and approves all contracts and agreements between the Sheriff and other parties;
- reviews, evaluates and assists with responding to public records requests, subpoenas, discovery requests and court orders;
- assists the Sheriff and Command Staff in the formulation of policy on given matters;
- monitors and reviews legal aspects of Sheriff’s Office policies and operations;
- provides legal advice and counsel to employees at all levels within the Sheriff’s Office relative to the operations of the various divisions of the Sheriff’s Office; and
- performs legal research and provides general legal advice as needed.
Legal Affairs serves each of the divisions of the Sheriff’s Office, including Enforcement, Corrections, Administrative Services, Special Services, Support Services, Public Affairs and Internal Affairs.