Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office Safe Exchange Zone
In order to provide residents with a safe location for private party transactions, including online purchases and for child custody transfers, the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office has created a "Safe Exchange Zone”. The Safe Exchange Zone, located adjacent to our main office at 316 W Main St., is a well-lit area, under 24-hour video surveillance (24-hour monitoring of the Safe Exchange Zone is conducted by the Sheriff’s Office via live video surveillance of the area; a uniformed deputy will not be physically present at the parking spaces for transactions).
The Safe Exchange Zone is designed to offer a safe alternative to meeting a stranger in their home or at an unfamiliar location. This area is not a drop off where parents can leave children for a later pick-up time for child custody exchanges. All exchanges must be person-to-person.
Safe Exchange Zone Safety Tips:
• Complete transactions only during daylight hours.
• Make sure a friend or family member is aware of the details of the transaction and when possible, take a friend with you.
• Be extra cautious when buying/selling valuable items.
• Never give out any personal or financial information.
• Trust your instincts; if it sounds like a scam or too good to be true—it probably is.
• If someone is not willing to come to the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office to complete a sale, it is probably not a legitimate transaction.
These parking spaces are to be used only for their intended purpose of private party transactions. No long-term parking or unattended vehicles will be permitted in the Safe Exchange Zone. No appointments are necessary when using the Safe Exchange Zone.
For more information, please contact the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office at (337) 232-9211.